Also known historically as Palermo Punta Raisi Airport (PMO), for more than 15 years now it has officially been named “Falcone e Borsellino”, in memory of the two italian antimafia prosecutors that lost their lives in Sicily.
The Airport facility is operated by Gesap S.p.A., in collaboration with regional and local authorities. It is about 35 km from the heart of Palermo and it is situated in an area known as Punta Raisi, which is located at Cinisi.
Today “Falcone e Borsellino” Airport is considered one of the busiest Airports in southern Italy, with numerous airlines operating both nationally and internationally.
History of the Airport starts from very far and precisely in 1953, when it is formed the “Autonomous Consortium for Palermo Airport“.
Consortium was established with the aim of creating an alternative stopover at the Boccadifalco Airport, military airport open to civilian traffic, which at the time, despite being the third busiest airport in Italy as national traffic, no longer able to deal with the ever-increasing demand of traffic.